What is the reason for severe nausea, headache and vomiting?

Posted on Wed, 18 Dec 2013 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Hi there... about once or twice a year, I get this weird headache accompanied by severe nausea and vomiting. The headache is in two parts of my head - the inner part of my right eyebrow and the back of my neck, just where my neck joins my head, also on the right side, and sometimes under my right ear and in the right side of my nose. There's no "aura" and it's not like a migrane - I had those years ago when I was pregnant, and this is very different. What might it be?
Answered by Dr. Dadapeer K 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cluster headache or Migraine headache. Detailed Answer: Hello, Welcome to Health care magic Iam Dr. Dadapeer K, an Ophthalmologist. As an ophthalmologist I have been involved in evaluation and seeing patients presenting with headache as most of them do land in Ophthalmology out patient department. I reviewed your symptoms of headache accompanied by nausea and vomiting without any aura. Basically while evaluating headaches we consider two broad categories, Primary headache, without any underlying cause Secondary headache, with an underlying cause like refractive errors, sinusitis, brain tumors, intracranial infections.... Since you have not mentioned about any other symptoms other than headache it is unlikely to be secondary headache. So you are left with primary headaches. The three common primary headaches are Migraine, Cluster headache and tension headache. Migraine is the most common type of primary headache and it presents with nausea and vomiting. Prodromal symptoms are necessary for migraine, it can present in various ways with aura and without aura. I would like to keep this as my second diagnosis. My first diagnosis for you is cluster headache, as this also associated with nausea and vomiting like migraine. The main differentiating feature being the headache comes in clusters varying in frequency from one to times a year to many times a year. The time between the clusters headache is absolutely normal. This is typical of what you have described. Hence I consider cluster headache as my first diagnosis and migraine as second diagnosis. Do discuss with your primary physician. Hope I have answered your query. Thank you
Dr. Dadapeer K

Ophthalmologist