What is the reason for having pulsating vein on the neck?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in General Health
Question: Pulsation in vein on right side of neck, causes?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
A noticeable vein in the right side of your neck which is pulsating is enough to cause distress. It is commonly seen in thin built individuals with lesser subcutaneous fat- a fat is a cushion layer that is normally present beneath our skin and covers up all these superficial structures to give a smooth looking skin. A thinner layer of subcutaneous fat is not able to conceal your superficial veins properly which can be seen from outside.
Let me reassure you that it is just a normal variation and you need not be distressed. A painless visible pulsating vein is not a health problem.There is no major health concern with you. Do not worry.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D