What is the reason for having high bilirubin levels?
Total Bilirubin - 3.7
Direct Bilirubin - .73
Alkaline Phosphatase - 47
AST - 14
ALT - 22
GGT - 26
Protein Total - 8.2
Albumin - 4.8
Golbulin - 3.4
What could be causing the high Bilirubin?
Thank you for posting your query.
As per your lab reports, both the conjugated(indirect) and unconjugated(direct) bilirubin are elevated. But they are not too high to cause a worry at this time.
The most probable reasons for such mild elevation of bilirubin levels are,
1. Hemolysis (increased breakdown of red blood cells),
2. Gilbert's syndrome - a genetic disorder of bilirubin metabolism that can result in mild jaundice, found in about 5% of the population,
3. Some medicines like sulpha drugs might cause a rise in the bilirubin levels.
4. Rotor syndrome: non-itching jaundice, with rise of bilirubin in the patient's serum, mainly of the direct type.
Rest of your liver enzymes are within normal limits, that rules out a possible hepatitis.
You need not worry about these levels at this time. You might want to consider getting an ultrasound scan of the abdomen done sometime in the future.
Hope this answers your query completely.
Please do write back if you have any more questions or doubts.
Wishing you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- High bilirubin levels with interferon
- Have high bilirubin level what is wrong
- What is a high bilirubin level
- High bilirubin levels and thirst
- What hereditary diseases cause high bilirubin levels
- What does high bilirubin level in an infant indicate
- What is the reason for having high bilirubin levels
- What is high bilirubin levels in adults
- Costochondritis and high bilirubin level
- What is considered high bilirubin levels
- Abdominal pain, history of gall bladder disease. Overnight treatments?
- Bleeding from a razor cut. HIV infection chances?
- Had craniotomy done after accident. Can I masturbate now?
- Pregnant via IVF, second pregnancy. Problems with vaginal delivery?...
- How much does liver cancer surgery cost in Canada? Will Health Canada...
- Sore throat, abdominal pain. Blood work and strep test good. Had bowel...
- 3 week old baby, cries while passing urine, holds body tight while...
- Persistent red and pink urine, stressed. Serious?
- White discharge from surgery wound, pus from the internal stitches....
- What steps to take to lessen plaque in arteries and lower chances of...