What is the prognosis post intestinal perforation and ileal perforation resection?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Tue, 29 May 2018 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: Female 41 with history of Intestinal perforation 2014 and Ileal perforation – resection done 26 yrs back , hem peritoneum. kindly opine of future complications and prognosis . any sequel or future problems .
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please go through the detailed answer.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern and have gone through your reports.

Healing is a very complicated process and sometimes due to the difference in pressures or improper healing of the wound, there are chances of herniation of the organs of the abdomen.

The same thing is seen in latest USG of the patient. There is mild herniation of abdominal wall due to improper healing of wound post surgery.

Right now I don’t think that intervention is required or any surgical process is required to be done but ultrasound should be repeated every six months to see the progress of herniation.

If required a hernia repair surgery would be done on her.

Possible complication of a hernia-
Her hernia may grow and become painful however in some patients a part of intestine could become trapped in the abdominal wall causing strangulated hernia which may result in severe abdominal pain and urgent surgery has to be performed but chances are rare.

Prognosis or sequels depends on person to person. Sometimes it may progress to severe herniation in some patients it may remain mild.So no one can predict the prognosis however a USG should be done every 6 months.

In case you have any specific query please do ask in the follow-up.
Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee