What is the prognosis of a person with metastatic stage 4 colon cancer?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Colon Cancer
Question: What is the prognosis for a 63 y o male with stage 4 colon cancer spread to liver?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Depends on many other factors

Detailed Answer:
Hi

In general, stage 4 colon cancer with liver spread is not curable and average survival is around 2-3 years. But, some liver metastases, depending on number, location or volume, may be operable. These patients can survive even more, some even survive for >5 years.

We need to look at the current burden of disease (in the CT scans, etc), the fitness and health of the patient and prior therapy received to formulate a treatment plan.

Hope this helps. I will be available for follow-up.
Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist