What is the prognosis for schizophrenia?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 31 Oct 2018 in Mental Health
Question: I feel sometime someone controlling me and also having fear for unwanted things that is not necessary and will not happen really. Getting unwanted thoughts, Unable to control them. Consult a doctor they said that i was affected by schizophrenia. May i know how long i will take medicine. Can i fully recover from this?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Yes, there is a chance for recovery but with medication

Detailed Answer:

First of all, I like to inform you that schizophrenia is relapsing and remitting disorder and there is no permanent cure possible.

The individuals suffering from schizophrenia can recover completely with help of medication and they need to take some form of medication to remain healthy.

Since you already suffered four episodes till date there is a possibility that you may have further episodes in coming years. Considering this fact you need to continue your medication as suggested by your doctor.

Respidon is one among the commonly used medication for management of schizophrenia and there is a possibility that you will see the effect in few weeks.

Most patients take 8-12 weeks to recover completely although this time varies from individual to individual.

Hope I have answered your query.

Dr Ashok Kumar, Psychiatrist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad