What is the prognosis for low blood counts when doctor advises to discontinue Pomalyst?

Oncologist
Question
Today's results - WBC 1.1 RBC 2.53 PLT 44 LYM# .60 GRA# .40 Currently on monoclonal antibody (Darzalex) & oral chemo (Pomalyst). These are the lowest my numbers have been. Oncologist is discontinuing Pomalyst. How much lower until I'm in worse trouble? Multiple myelome diagnosised in March of 2017.... VRD helped at first, then went to Kyprolis. Didn't work.... Kappa/Lambda trending up. Latest at 284 and M-spike at 741. What's the truth of where I'm headed? Love my doc but he always says, you never can tell...
Tue, 29 May 2018 in Cancer

Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
Counts should improve after stopping pomalyst

Detailed Answer:
Hi

You are on a really good combo at present. I am sure it will work this time. However, low blood counts is a complication of pomalyst. Your doc has done the right thing by stopping it.

If WBC count goes below 0.5 then infection risk becomes high and if platelets go below 20 then risk of bleeding is there. But they should improve. Once they have sufficiently improved, pomalyst can be restarted at a lower dose.

Hope this helps. I will be available for further follow up.