What is the prognosis for jaw cancer?

Dr. Indranil Ghosh

Oncologist

Posted on Wed, 6 Sep 2017 in Cancer
Question: Hi can you tell me inlaymans terms the treatment and prognosis for an ICD Code A&B C41.1 diagnosis?
Answered by Dr. Indranil Ghosh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It will depend a lot on the stage

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Icd 10 41.1 suggests a diagnosis of malignancy of mandible, or jaw bone. Prognosis depends on the stage. If it is localized to mandible then it is good but if spread to surrounding structures and lymph glands then poor and if spread to distant sites then dismal. By good prognosis I mean 5 yr survival of 70%.

Treatment is usually surgery to remove the tumor and reconstruction of the mandible. It may be followed by radiotherapy and Chemotherapy depending upon the stage.

Hope this helps.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T