What is the prognosis after a proximal femoral fracture in an elderly person?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My mother fractured her Femur, but it wasn't discovered until a couple of weeks later thanks to a couple of her caregivers insisting something wasn't right. She has lost about 30 lbs in the last 6 months and due to her Esophogeal Stricture at times has trouble keeping food down.
My question is about the remainder of her life. I have heard that once they fall and break their "hip" her life is pretty much over. She is being kept comfortable, but no surgery is scheduled due to her age and frail condition. Am I to assume that she may not have long to live?
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
See next

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
It is hard to predict her life time,but if the fracture can't be managed and she can't be mobilized to walk again,then the prognosis is poor especially in this age with such comorbidities and it may range from few weeks to few months. In every case,it is important to keep good nutrition,hygiene and pain management to increase chances of long term survival. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T