What is the procedure to treat subserosal fibroid and does it impact pregnancy?

Dr. Monika Choudhary

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 2 Jan 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: CLINICAL INDICATIONS: pelvic mass SE (LOCATION) CLINICAL COMMENTS: Pregnancy Information:N TRANSABDOMINAL PELVIC ULTRASOUND; TRANSVAGINAL ULTRASOUND: Transabdominal and transvaginal evaluation of the pelvis was done. The uterus is 10.0 cm in length and 1.8 x 7.4 cm in transverse dimension. The endometrium is 4 mm in thickness. There is a 6.7 cm mural and subserosal mass in the posterior fundus. There is no evidence of intrauterine pregnancy.No significant abnormality of the bladder is demonstrated. There is suboptimal visualization of the ovaries. The right ovary is 2.5 x 1.8 x 1.5 cm in size. The left ovary is 2.3 x 1.7 x 1.4 cm in size. There is no evidence of cysts, adnexal masses, or free fluid in the pelvis. IMPRESSION: Fibroid uterus Please let me know what procedures are available to treat this fibroid. How big is exactly the size of this fibroid? Size of pingpong, tennis ball, etc.? Will it impact pregnancy?
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 1 hour later
Brief Answer: fibroid of hen egg size, please provide details Detailed Answer: Hello XXXX, Thanks for posting your query. Your ovaries are normal size, the mass is subserosal fibroid which is pretty big about the egg of a hen approximately. I need some additional information for the answer to the last query. How many kids you have and year of last delivery. How is hemoglobbin levels How are the periods and do you feel any problems. I hope I shall be able to help you in better way with all this detail. Wishing you good health.
Follow up: Dr. Monika Choudhary 43 hours later
I do not have any kids. I guess my hemoglobbin levels are normal but not for sure My periods are abnormal only 6 or 7 times a year. I am just concerned that I might not be able to get pregnant because of this fibroid. Also I am afraid of surgery and would like to explore any alternative medicines to shrink the fibroid if possible.
Answered by Dr. Monika Choudhary 21 hours later
Brief Answer: Get your fibroid removed Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. You can conceive easily inspite of fibroid if your periods are regular & you are ovulating properly. However after conception there can be risk of abortion or preterm delivery due to fibroid & there might be some complication like red degeneration of fibroid during pregnancy. Alternative medicines are available like Gnrh analogue to shrink the fibroid but there is possibility of its regrowth during pregnancy. Your fibroid is of moderate size, so first get it removed & then consult your doctor to regularize your period. I will be available for your further queries. Regards,