Owl Image

What is the procedure of root canal treatment?

Owl Image
Dr. Geoffrey Ward

Dentist

Question
Hi, I have a root canal Friday on a front incisor and am very nervous. Can you tell me about the procedure, and more importantly, the pain. No sedation except for what I have (Xanax and anti-nausea meds)
Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Geoffrey Ward 2 hours later
Hello and thank you for your question.
Root canal procedures are typically painless. We typically will place topical anesthetic on your gums, then numb you with xylocaine or septocaine. Once you are very numb, we place a rubber dam around the tooth to protect it from the surrounding environment and make a small hole in the back of the tooth to the nerve. This is like getting a normal filling but is usually quicker in the prep. Files are used to remove the infected tissues and the canals are sanitized. The canal is then filled with a rubberized material called guttapercha and the access hole in the tooth is sealed off with a glass ionomer or composite.

The only discomfort you should feel is the initial numbing process which can pinch a little but is tolerable.

I hope this helps, if you have any further questions I'll gladly answer them for you.

Best wishes

Dr. Ward