What is the probability of multiple murmurs?

Dr. Praveen

Posted on Mon, 12 May 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: What is the probability of multiple (2 or more) murmurs
Answered by Dr. Praveen 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Mutiple valvular abnormalities+anaemia/infection Detailed Answer: Hi.Thanks for giving me an opportunity to address your query. Heart murmurs are most commonly due to valve abnormalities/malfunction which results in the abnormal bloodflow from the heart(when the heart is about to pump). Multiple murmurs are quiet common since the valves operate in unison(abnormality in one valve gradually hampers the function of the rest).More importantly associated conditions like anemia, infection(bacterial endocarditis) also result in additional murmurs. Hope this answers your query.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad