What is the precautionary measures for pregnancy after miscarriage?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 30 Dec 2013 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi, I want to know the Do's & dont's for the Pregnancy after Miscarriage. Treated with Uterine TB in May 2013 completed 9 months course of it. Had a Miscarriage on Jun 13 of about 10 weeks. SO want to know that do a extra precaution is needed in this case
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello XXXXXXX Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. Are you already pregnant ? Or are you planning a future pregnancy ? After a miscarriage the following points should be kept in mind before proceeding for a next conception - 1. First, avoid conception for atleast 3 - 6 months. Take regular folic acid tablets meanwhile 5 mg. per day daily 1 tablet. 2. The fetus of the abortion should be sent for karyotyping ( chromosomal analysis ). The couple also should have a karyotype done. This is because most such first trimester miscarriages are caused by genetic abnormalities in the baby. Do not worry, because they are unlikely to recur, unless one of the parents also has chromosomal abnormality. Most women with a first miscarriage go on to deliver successfully the next time. 3. As you have completed the course for genital tuberculosis , do not worry. Only sometimes tuberculosis can damage the uterus ( endometrium ). So, go for a pelvic sonogram midcycle, which will show if the endometrium is growing properly enough to support a pregnancy. It can damage the tubes also, but you had a conception AFTER treatment, so you do not need laparoscopy to assess the tubes immediately. Uterine shape can be distorted by tuberculosis, so you can go for HSG ( hysterosalpingogram )- that will outline uterine cavity, as well as tubal status. 4. Complete blood count, HIV, HBsAg, HCV, TSH, OGTT, prolactin, Workup for antiphospholipid antibody syndrome, blood group ( husband and wife ) , FSH, LH, AMH, creatinine levels - these investigations should be done. 5. TORCH profile should be done. 6. If all these investigations are normal, do not worry. Just wait for 3 - 6 months, taking only folic acid tablets. Maintain an ideal weight. Exercise regularly and eat well. Avoid stress and negative thinking. When you conceive, have regular obstetric check ups right from the time you have a positive urine test at home. Have a scan at 6 weeks, and then every 2 weeks till the second trimester, as you have had a previous abortion. Your blood pressure should be monitored to see if it is normal. Avoid smoking / drinking / excessive tea and coffee / exposure to chemicals, pollution and drugs. All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications.
Follow up: Dr. Aarti Abraham 29 minutes later
hi , thanks for your Quick response. Pregnant with 5 weeks LMP was 7 - Nov and its almost 5 months after miscarriage. Already had a laparoscopy in August 2012, have not taken any folic Acid tablet till yet. FSH, TSH , HIV Negative, LH, HBsAg, OGTT, prolactin all are ok. what is TORCH. plz give more clarification. Having a Sex is Ok or should i Avoid. Can you plz help me in getting the complete diet chart. so that i can be aware of what to eat & what to avoid. i am working also, so do i need a proper bed rest as sitting for longer time make me feel tired and backache. what Physical activities should be avoided thanks
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 1 hour later
Brief Answer: DETAILED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Thanks for your appreciation. 1. Was your laparoscopy report normal ? 2. Please start taking folic acid tablets 5 mg. daily . 3. Remaining investigations as suggested by me also should be done. 4. TORCH Profile is screening for infections - rubella, toxoplasmosis, herpes, cytomegalovirus. Both IgG and Ig M should be done. 5. You can start trying for conception. Having sex is alright. 6. There are no specific dos and donts for food. Have homecooked simple meals. Eat small frequent meals, instead of 2 -3 big ones. Avoid fried / greasy / oily food. Avoid canned foods, foods containing preservatives, packed foods, artificial soft drinks and artificial juices. Have lots of fluids - dal, soup, buttermilk, water, nimbupani etc. Eat good amount of protein ( dal, egg, chicken, tofu ) , fresh green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits. 7. You can continue working. YOu do not need bedrest at all. Stay active. For backache, have measurement of calcium and Vitamin D levels - you might need supplements if you dont get enough exposure to sunlight. 8. You can be physically active, and perform all activities ( apart from rare ones like scuba diving ! ). All the best. Please feel free to ask for further clarifications. You can contact me anytime directly using the following link - WWW.WWWW.WW