What is the possibility of pregnancy after ischemic stroke and uterine prolapse

Dr. Madhuri N Bagde

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Question: I had a ischemic stroke on may 14 2014. I have not had a period since. I also have severe uterine prolapse. im concerned about blood clot with no period and could I even be pregnant with prolapse. I have left message with my pcp and gyno no return yet. birth control pills regulated period before stroke. no longer take tem. I am 48 years old. basically healthy other than stroke.
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
detailed answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Please do not worry.

I understand that you were on pills and they were causing your periods. They may have also caused the stroke we do not know.

However with your history of severe prolapse and age, pregnancy seems unlikely. Pregnancy does occur in minor degree of prolapse [ ist degree] but once the cervix comes out then it is unlikely that sperms find their way up.

Also the absent period may be due to menopause that you may not have realised due to the birth control pills causing periods.

So as of now, just get a urine pregnancy test done and it will help rule out pregnancy. The chance of pregnancy is very low as spontaneous pregnancy is rare after the age of 45 years until assisted reproductive techniques are used.

So please do not worry. Just do a home urine test and it will solve your issues.

Hope this satisfies your query.
Thanks for using HCM.     
Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have.
Dr Madhuri Bagde
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist