Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
181 Doctors are Online

What is the painful bump on my head after a head injury?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Infectious Diseases Specialist
Practicing since : 2002
Answered : 2448 Questions
Hi, I hit my head quite hard on a van 7 hours ago. Have not had any major headaches or dizziness but I do have a big goose egg on top of my head which is painful to the touch. Do I need to see a doc?
Posted Mon, 3 Mar 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Swelling on the scalp Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. Whenever there is a impact of head against the hard surface bruise or bump will appear very quickly and you will have pain and may feel nauseated. If you develop any of the following symptoms, you have to consult your doctor at the earliest. Altered consciousness Any discharge from the ears or nose Black eyes and bruised skin behind the ears Vision changes Nausea and vomiting Some symptoms appear right away, while others do not show up for days or weeks after the injury.These are common symptoms of serious head injury and should always be considered important if they persist. The bump will subside in few days but the symptoms of the head injury should be monitored properly. If you have any query please post me and keep an eye on the symptoms. I wish you speedy recovery. Thank You.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: What is the painful bump on my head after a head injury? 1 hour later
Thanks for the response. We will definitely monitor for injury. I didn't lose consciousness or anything, just got scared because I always worry about my health. Is it okay to take ibuprofen for the pain?
Answered by Dr. Praveen G 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Swelling of the scalp following injury. Detailed Answer: Hello, It is my pleasure to answer your query, This is a good sign, as you have not lost consciousness following the impact. If you are not allergic to ibuprofen, You can take this medicine to reduce the pain. I would suggest you to apply ice pack on the swelling which will reduce the pain and also reduces inflammation. If you are allergic to ibuprofen you can take Tolpa D,because it has both pain killer and serratiopeptidase (reduces swelling). I wish you speedy recovery. Feel free to post if you have any query. Thank You.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor