What is the normal volume of blood in the human body?

Excellent

Question
How much blood is in the human body? If I had an injury, how much blood could I lose before having to worry about dying? If I DID lose a lot of blood (say I cut myself accidently with a knife and it hit an artery and it was spraying everywhere, at what point should I go to the ER (assuming the injury needed no stitches)? I know these are strange questions BUT, all I've had is bad luck in ER's. Bad doctors, Raped, they use my mental health background against me in every way they can (ie: she did it on purpose, she'd trying to get attention, and actual 1013 b/c of acquiring an extremely rare parasite. So I don't like to go at all unless I'm dying- thus the reason I'm asking the questions above. Thanks so much!!
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Lump

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Blood loss of 15 % and above is worrisome.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking
I appreciate the detailed history. But aside from all that the answer to your question is regarding blood. Human on average contains 4 to 6 litres. 500 ml loss does not bother in fact we suggest a blood donation which is roughly 300 to 400 ml every 3rd month. Blood compensates that much in 21 days completely. trouble starts at a loss of a litre and more. Hypovolemic shock is the result. There are different grades of severity of shock which are beyond the scope of this discussion.
Regarding the cutting artery , make sure it never does and if god forbid it happens, waiting for the worst point is not wise. hushing and rushing to ER and calling 911 is the answer.pressure stopping to prevent the loss meanwhile.
But why to discuss the worst case scenarios.
Seek a good psych rehabilitation. Life is too short to be wasted on such overwhelming thoughts.
I hope it helps.take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
may the odds be ever in your favour.
Khan