What is the normal length of cervix at 16-20 weeks of pregnancy?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 21 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: The length of my cervix was 55.6 mm in my 20 week of pregnancy and i had a miscarriage what should be the length of my cervix and . how can i prevent miscarriage next time .
Answered by Dr. Richa Agarwal 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Normal length of cervix at 16-20 weeks of pregnancy is around 4-4.5 cm and it will decreases with advancement of pregnancy. I do not conclude the cause of miscarriage based on single cervical length, not before ruling out other causes. Therefore you you must take precautions to prevent miscarriage next time. Those precautions include-
1) From the beginning of your pregnancy you should consult a gynaecologist and get your proper examination and investigation done.
2) You should see for other causes of misscarriage also, so you should go for TORCH test, blood sugar and thyroid profile.
3) With your consulting doctor opinion you should go for progesterone support in your next pregnancy.
4) Take folic acid and multivitamin at least 3 months before planning your next pregnancy.
5) Avoid pregnancy for at least 6 months of your previous misscarriage.
6) Avoid stress and take healthy diet which is full of vegetables and fruits.
7) Adapt healthy lifestyle and take a good sleep.
I think I have answered your query if you have further questions I will be happy to help you.
Good luck.
Dr. Richa
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad