What is the most effective treatment for an ear ache?

Dr. Prahlad Duggal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 1 Apr 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: What is the most effective treatment for an ear ache?
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: Descriptive Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. The treatment of ear ache depends upon the cause of ear ache. The causes can be: 1. Due to factors in the external ear or external auditory canal like impacted wax (which needs to be removed or softened with wax solvent drops), debris/fungus (which needs to be cleaned and antifungal antibiotic drops need to be used), infection/inflammation in the external auditory canal (which needs antibiotic with steroid drops). Systemic antibiotics and analgesics may be required depending upon the intensity. So, an ENT consultation is required. 2. Due to infection middle ear cleft which needs to be addressed with oral and nasal decongestants, analgesics and antibiotics. 3. Due to problems with the adjoining structures like temporomandibular joint problems which usually need analgesics. So, the need is to go to an ENT, get the ear examined and take specific treatment depending upon the likely cause. Feel free to ask another query. Regards