What is the medication of choice for typhoid fever during pregnancy?

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: My wife is 17 weeks pregnant and had fever for 3 days. On taking a typhidot test, it showed positive for Salmonella Typhi(Typhoid). It has been a week and she has not had any fever. We just controlled the fever with paracetamol. No Antibiotics have been given. We re-tested typhidot and it again came positive. Our GP recommends Taxim O (Cefixime) twice a day for 7 Days if fever is present but as I said there is no fever. Our Gyneac/OB states that there is no need for taking taxim as there are no clinical symptoms. I am really concerned about the infection impacting our pregnancy. Also is there an impact having Taxim as there are no clinical symptoms?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
As long as she has no fever, there is no need to give Taxim

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.

I can understand your concern for your beloved wife.
As long as she has no symptoms like fever, vomiting, abdominal pain, loss of appetite & constipation there is nothing to worry. But she needs to observed for these symptoms.

That being said cefixime (Taxim-O) is the one of the safest antibiotic to be used during pregnancy. But given her clinical presentation I am with your gynecologist opinion. No antibiotics at this point of time.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 12 minutes later
By not taking any antibiotics, The infection continues to exist in her body. I have read in several medical articles that the salmonella typhi bacteria can cross the placenta and cause miscarriages/pre term labour. What is the risk of leaving this infection untreated?
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
There is a definite risk if it is confirmed to be Typhoid fever

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome back.
Thanks for your reply.

How is she now? Hope she is doing well and taking her food and other prescribed medications (for ante natal checkup) as usual.

I really appreciate your concern for the possible harmful effects of typhoid fever during pregnancy. Yes, it may cause miscarriage.

But the thing is since she is not having any symptom now and the Typhidot test is also not sensitive or specific for the current infection.
It will be a useful complementary test to blood culture and the Widal test in the diagnosis of typhoid fever.

In case if she gets fever or other associated symptoms a widal test or blood culture is recommended to confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar