Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
198 Doctors are Online

What is the meaning of free fluid in POD. Is it a major problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2008
Answered : 3557 Questions
Hi i want to know what is the meaning of free fluid in POD. is it a major problem?
Posted Mon, 23 Jul 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 9 minutes later

Thanks for your query.

Pouch Of XXXXXXX is also called recto-uterine pouch, is located between the rectum and the back part of the uterus.

Fluid in the pouch can be seen in numerous conditions.The commonest is soon after ovulation which is very much normal and happens due to release of blood and fluid from the follicle rupture site in the ovary.

Other conditions like pelvic inflammatory disease , rupture of bladder or any hallow viscus in the abdomen can cause fluid collection but these conditions will present with severe symptoms before there is collection of fluid in the pouch.Hence, the relevance is not considered important in above conditions.

When seen in mid period it is considered as an indication of Ovulation.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor