What is the life expectancy of someone with single-ventricle congenital heart disease?

Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I was born with single ventricle and had PA banding done at the age of 3. I was not suitable for XXXXXXX and Fontan as my PA pressure was high. I am 25 now and healthy. I am anxious to know if there will be any complications in the future. And can I get married and give a normal life to my partner?
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes you can marry

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist from Fortis Hospital.
You definitely have a rare disease & have been treated right (banding of pulmonary artery) due to increased pulmonary flow.
Definitive treatment will be Fontan surgery, the proper time of which will be decided by your surgeon.
You can definitely lead a normal life & you can definitely marry. Their is no problem until you keep following up with your doctor for follow up & take proper medicine.
Complications could be
Heart failure(due to congestion of fluid in lungs),
Thrombosis (their is increased risk of clot formation in such patients),
Protein loosing enteropathy (these type of patients tend to loose protein in urine & you should check your Serum Albumin from time to time),
Liver dysfunction
Thrombocytopenia (decreased platelet count).

I wish you do not get any of these complications.
And believe me you will be absolutely fine & can marry with the girl you love.

Wishing you a good health.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 31 minutes later
Thank you doctor.

I have my regular follow ups with my cardiologists. And he told me that my heart is functioning normal and my exercise tolerance levels are good. So i might not require any surgeries and i will be doing well with just PA banding.
I wanted to confirm with you if this is feasible, that i can survive long without any further surgeries.
At present i am just on medication - Listril 5mg and ecosprine.
Are there people with my condition and only underwent PA banding were married and living a long life?
Brief Answer:
Yes you may not require further surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome back again.
Yes if you are asymptomatic & echo parameters are fine & pulmonary pressure is not rising, you may not require further surgery. But if the pulmonary pressure increases or you develope symptoms like breathing difficulty & cyanosis, than you will require surgery.
Yes there are peoples like you who had only pulmonary artery banding are there & living a normal life.
So everything depends on how your symptoms & pulmonary pressure change. These changes could not be predicted now & will be gradually observed on follow up.
Medicines you are taking are good. Ecosprin will prevent clot formation about which i told you in previous message. And it is good that you are not requiring a diuretic but keep a balance in intake & output.
I hope that you remain symptoms free & live a normal healthy life.
Go & marry the women of your choice.

Thanks & take care
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 hours later
Thank you so much doctor for boosting my confidence.
I was always confident that i will have a normal life because i was operated by Dr K R XXXXXXX (who is in Fortis too) and he confidently said that i will have no complications or health issues and i will live long after he operated me at the age of 3. And till today i never had to be hospitalised for any reason. I hope to do this well forever.
I was just concerned because there is a girl in my life now and it is important for me to give her a happy life.
But your message is valuable and made me feel better.
Thank you so much.
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX
Welcome back again.

It is great to hear the words of confidence in you.

Go ahead marry the girl you love & I wish a happy & blessed life for you both.
You will be healthy throughout & will get all the happiness you have dreamed of.
Wishing you a healthy, happy & blessed life.

Congratulations for your marriage in advance :)

If you need any help in future, I'll be delighted to help you.
If your current query is answered, you can choose to close the discussion.

Thanks & take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee