• question-icon

What is the life expectancy of someone with asthma, COPD and hepatic steatosis?

Posted on Fri, 11 Aug 2017 in Elderly Problems
Question: What is the life expectancy of someone with asthma and copd parkinsons and fatty liver. My age is 63 and I am on a portable ventalator.
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
every case is different

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for asking in HealthcareMagic.

I can understand your concern

So as you explain you are suffering from overlap syndrome (Asthma and COPD ) and probably according to your medical history your lungs are fibrotic too.

Parkinson may worsen the situation but not necessary.

The fact that you are in a portable ventilator means that your lungs need help in their function of ventilation.

The two main components that are determinant in life expectancy are the degree of the fibrosis (scar) ,the Spirometry values,and arterial blood gases values.

Usually if the lung volumes are normal or nearly normal and if there is no respiratory failure than we can say we are in a good way.

I can not speak in percentage because i don't know your clinical picture and every case has its specificity.

You should be careful with the treatment, try to walk if you can,be careful with the weight too (if you are overweight ).

I hope this will be helpful for you

Take care and feel free to ask me again

Dr.Jolanda
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist