• question-icon

What is the life expectancy of someone with 35% ejection fraction?

Posted on Thu, 3 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: my heart is working at 35%, my blood pressure and pulse rate are normal. I am 70 years old who had a full knee replacement on MAY 15TH, I developed a blood clot which I am being treated for. I also have a left branch bundle block. Thanks for your help!
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 59 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that this EF indicates the presence of heart failure.

I would like to know your complaints. Do you have any shortness of breath or leg swelling?

Coming to this point, I would like to explain that it is necessary following a careful treatment strategy and a healthy lifestyle.

I would like to know your actual therapy.

Are you taking any diuretics?

What about your blood clot? Where is is situated? Are you taking any blood thinners?

If you have had an arterial blood clot, it would be necessary investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia, which could lead to cardio-embolic events (blood clots formation). An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring would be needed for this purpose.

I would like to directly review your uploaded test reports (cardiac ultrasound, resting ECG, any other tests etc.) for a more professional opinion, if you can upload them.

In the meantime, I would also recommend some tips for a healthy lifestyle, in order to improve your situation:

- avoid straining physical activity
- reduce salt and unnecessary fluid intake
- use a balanced diet
- closely monitor your blood pressure and heart rate.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

I remain at your disposal for any other questions!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist