What is the life expectancy of someone with 10% heart function?

Dr. Jnikolla

Pulmonologist

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 34 yr old with congested heart failure for 3 yrs now.

Heart was functioning at 10% last hospital visit in October. After given proper medication he was able to stay stable for 3 months. 3 weeks ago he caught a cold. His symptoms: coughing, phlegm, difficulting catching breath, extreme weakness. After he began to recover from his cold it triggered his CHF he began to have labored breathing(while at rest and moving around), extreme fatigue (sleeps all day; deep sleep), coughing, stomach pain and now blood in stool. Blood pressure 230/157 pulse 42 (Found out he stopped taking his medication in January.) What could this mean?
Answered by Dr. Jnikolla 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seek immediately medical help!

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for the question.
I gone through your question and i am going to give you some more information regarding to your concern.
According to your description the situation sound severe.
In patients with chronic disease (like heart failure), should be taken prevention (like doing vaccines) because it may aggravate the situation a lot (like in this case).
The blood in stool may be due to the use of NSAID (like ibuprofen) for the treatment of flue symptoms.
The blood pressure is very high and the heart rate is low.
So, in this situation i would recommend to seek immediately medical help.
Will be a pleasure to help you further if you have still queries.
Best wishes,
Dr.Jolanda