What is the life expectancy of a patient suffering from liver cirrhosis?

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My husband in the hospital with cirrhosis started out with NAFLD a year and a half ago. Now he and I were told
yesterday that he is not eligible for transplant since he only stopped drinking almost 2 weeks ago then endes up in ER. His MELD score on admission on July 27 2016 was 35. I cannot handle this we were also told he has a 50% mortality rate and 3 months to live (per statistics and studies) Also was told transplant centers only take patients with 6 months alcohol free ? HELP!!! He is on dialysis daily inpatient now. Because of kidneys not functioning on admission this is first hospitalization and need help he has a brother willing to donate part or some of his liver . HELP US !!!!!
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consult other centres

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

First,I am sorry about your husband,this is serious condition. I afraid that doctors have right since there are few contraindications for transplantation.

First,he has obviously acute alcoholic hepatitis, second there is no 6 months abstinence and third,he is in poor general condition with high meld score and dialysis requirements. So it is about not willing to do transplantation,but there is serious death risk for such patient and risks for donor.

What you can do,is to consult other transplantation centres and see if someone will accept this risk,although this is not probable. What is also possible is that he recovers partially in next few weeks and then transplantation may be reconsidered.

Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 1 hour later
Thank you we are going to fight and beat this. If he recovers in a couple of weeks to the point of reconsideration to transplant will it be a whole liver or just partial since it regenerates depending on the damage right?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 42 hours later
Brief Answer:
probably whole

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Considering this particular patient, the orthopic liver transplantation from the cadaver would be appropriate. For split-liver transplantation from live donors, he should have at least 30% of live function preserved and in cirrhosis with kidney disfunctin, this is not to be expected. I hope that you ll find the solution. Wish you luck. If you have any new questions feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 3 days later
My husbands creatinine clearance was 19 today 20. He will or might be on dialysis temporarily over nephrologist. If he surpasses the 3 month life expectancy that we were told with his cirrhosis and goes on for 6-8 months no etoh what are the chances for a cadaver or donor transplant in your opinion.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not much but you should have hope

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Unfortunately it is clear that there is lack of donors for cadaveric liver transplantation and only 20% of patients who survive 1 year on the list,get new liver. It also depends on country where you are. So your can be optimistic,but you should also expect worse scenarios. Donor transplantation is more simple of course but I am not sure if half of the liver would be enough for this type of patient. Liver functional tests should be done to check adequacy of cousin's liver. You should focus now on recovery of his acute conditiona and later you can plan other treatments.