question-icon

What is the latest treatment for herpetic keratitis?

Posted on Sat, 13 Jun 2015
Question: What is the latest treatment for herpetic keratitis? XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Antivirals for outbreaks and recurrence!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this herpetic keratitis that you have. There has not been any recent advancement in the treatment of this condition. The plan is to use antivirals for any acute outbreaks. If you have recurrent outbreaks, then you may be put on longterm antivirals to prevent frequent recurrence which damages the eyes. Commonly used drugs are gancyclovir, vidarabine, acyclovir, etc.

Surgical management is reserved for complicated cases which mainly involves surgical debridement.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ivo Ditah