What is the latest treatment for herpetic keratitis?
Antivirals for outbreaks and recurrence!
Hi and thank you so much for this query.
I am so sorry to hear about this herpetic keratitis that you have. There has not been any recent advancement in the treatment of this condition. The plan is to use antivirals for any acute outbreaks. If you have recurrent outbreaks, then you may be put on longterm antivirals to prevent frequent recurrence which damages the eyes. Commonly used drugs are gancyclovir, vidarabine, acyclovir, etc.
Surgical management is reserved for complicated cases which mainly involves surgical debridement.
I hope this helps. I wish you well. Thanks for using our services and feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Staph marginal keratitis treatment
- What treatment should a diabetic take for filamentary keratities
- Treatment and cure for viral keratitis
- Treatment of marginal keratitis
- Acanthamoeba keratitis phmb treatment
- Treatment and cure for adenoviral keratitis
- Is maxitrol used in the treatment of keratitis?
- Is tobradex used in the treatment of keratitis?
- Treatment and cure for herpetic disciform keratitis
- Treatment and cure for interstitial keratitis