What is the interaction between Klonopin and L-methylfolate?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 18 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, my name is XXXX XXXXXXX and I take 15 mg of abilify in the morning, 50 mg of prestig, 1 mg of klonopin three times a day, 5 mg of L-methylfolate two times a day, 45 mg or remeron at night and 6 mg of melatonin at night. I read that the combination of L-methylfolate and klonopin can commonly cause death if taken between 6-12 months. Here is the article where it says that: http://www.ehealthme.com/drug-interaction/klonopin/l-methylfolate/
Is it safe to take L-methylfolate and klonopin together and if so, why does it say this in the article?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 25 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to reduce dose of KLONOPIN

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I like to inform you that any irrational combination of medication likely to cause more problems than benefits. The combination of Klonopin and methylfolate is not a rational one and can not be in same form for a period of one year.

In fact all standard guidelines advocate removal of klonopin within one to three months of use. If they are used for longer time they can cause all sort of problems including dependence, cognitive impairment, memory loss, rebound anxiety, falls and fractures. Some of these complications can lead to further complications and death.

I mean to say that information provided in the provided link have rational value and it is not fake. Considering this I will request you to discuss dose decrease for Klonopin at earliest.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad