What is the increased risk of elevated GGT level?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Dear sir, I am 42 male. GGT is 93.never taken alcohol. Taking concor AM 5 mg table t for bp since 3 yes. Cholesterol was high but now is WNR.please suggest further test or medication.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is due to phenytoin therapy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thank you for asking HCM.

I have gone through your query. Increase in GGT is usual while taking phenytoin therapy. This doesn't mean that there is liver damage and not an indication for stopping this drug also. But if there is AST or ALT or ALP increase then ultrasound examination should be done.

If you have any other symptoms like itching or jaundice signs then you can ask your doctor to change to some other drug for seizure.

Hope this may help you. Let me know if anything not clear.
Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 1 hour later
Thanks sir.
ALP 74, AST 22.1, ALT 28.3 by photometry method from thyrocare
No itching or jaundice.
Can i reduce phenytl 30 tab from 2 bd to 1 or 1.5 now. Previously taken 3 tab daily for 8 yrs and then tapped to 2.
Any other test required to test phentyl effect or to decide reduction. Thanking you in anticipation for valuable suggstion
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Further reduction of phenytoin after consulting a neurologist.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

Thank you for your follow up query.

Your Liver enzymes ALP,AST and ALT are within normal limits. So there is no sign of liver damage. The dose of phenytoin you are taking is low. Further reduction in dosage can be considered after consulting a neurologist. You might need to do MRI or EEG test also.

Let me know if anything not clear.
I am happy to help you.
Thanks.
Follow up: Dr. Nishad BN 9 hours later
Taking Atrolip 5 (atorvastin) one tablet daily for cholesterol
Now cholesterol level in wnr so startedtaking the tablet alternate day for last 6 months and then too cholesterol is wnr.can i stop this tablet now or is there any adverse effect on ggt. Please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Nishad BN 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You can continue atorvastatin.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome again.

Thank you for your follow up.

Atorvastatin 5mg is very small dose and you can continue on alternative days as you do. But if cholesterol is very low then you can stop it. There is no adverse effect on GGT by taking Atorvastatin 5mg. Phenytoin in high doses can increase the cholesterol levels.

Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Nishad BN