What is the ideal range of blood sugar in a type 2 diabetic person?

Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh

Posted on Fri, 11 Sep 2015 in General Health
Question: My mom is a type 2 diabetic. She does not exercise, nor does she monitor her diet. She only eats after 5pm, while drinking approximately 8 beers each night.
What is a healthy range for her blood sugar if she tests at 4:30?
Answered by Dr. Bonnie Berger-Durnbaugh 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Before eating, blood sugar should be in the range of 80 - 130.

Detailed Answer:
Oh my, this sounds like a difficult situation.

Blood sugar goals are best individualized for each patient based on a number of factors. However, the XXXXXXX Diabetes Association recommends that blood sugar levels before a meal (in diabetic patients) be in the range of 80–130 mg/dl.

A more accurate test for getting a big picture of how well her diabetes is controlled is called Hemoglobin A-1C (or just A1C). This test gives the average of where a patient's blood sugar is over the course of 2-3 months. A1C should be kept below 7%.

Perhaps your mom isn't aware of the bad consequences of having elevated blood sugars such as peripheral neuropathy, eye damage, etc.

Here is a website with info:
http://www.yyyy.org/living-with-diabetes/treatment-and-care/blood-glucose-control/checking-your-blood-glucose.html#sthash.appgBqIx.dpuf

I hope this info helps.