What is the ideal dosage of Clindamycin taken for inner ear infection?

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Tue, 7 Jun 2016 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: my wife was prescribed 300mg clindamycin once daily for 30 days. She has only one kidney. Is this a correct dose for an ear ache, the MD diagnosed an inner ear infection. She is allergic to Sulf drugs .
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
7 to 14 days of 300 mg would be enough

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. CLindamycin of 300 mg is a right dose for the inner ear infections , as this antibiotic will cover all the suspected aerobes that can cause inner ear infection. However the duration of 30 days is i believe more than needed. If her symptoms subside, which surely will, i would say even 7 to 14 days of duration is enough.

Don't worry for the kidney. Its liver which metabolises the drug , so kidneys are good and safe with the antibiotic.

I hope it helps. take good care of your wife and yourself an dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan