What is the ideal dosage of Ativan for an alcoholic patient?
First the general information. Alcohol, ativan, some anti-epileptic medications get the brain used to being damped down and it over corrects into even potentially fatal OVER activity when they are abruptly stopped. Tapering down a bit gradually for a few days prevents this. This is more likely the more medicine, the more alcohol, the more brain damage, the worst medical history someone has. Ideally, the bare minimum medicine to damp down brain activity for a few days after stopping alcohol would be the best idea. Ideally, someone will feel no sedation whatsoever from the seizure prevention medication.
"doesn't seem to be affecting me at all" can mean it is working perfectly or that someone is near a seizure and needs immediate hospitalization or anywhere in between. Signs of definitely needing hospitalization are those of overstimulation. These include but are not limited to body overstimulation: rapid pulse > 110, elevated blood pressure, sweats, shakes. or mind overstimulation no sleep > 24 hrs, hallucinations/paranoia, severe panic. If taking 2 mg ativan and having even a FEW of these signs (ok, probably ANY ONE of these signs) it probably means observed treatment in hospital for about 24 hrs. So....it's pretty doubtful 4 mg ativan is ever going to be the simple solution. Either 2 mg is fine and there's very very low risk of problems or 2 mg isn't fine and observed and medically supervised treatment (currently in the US that implies hospital; it would be a medical facility NOT a hospital in many other countries).
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Is there any interaction between Morphine and Gabapentin?
- Can the presence of Oxycontin be detected in urine?
- Can Oxycodone be taken for wrist and back pain?
- What causes spitting of black mucus?
- How can Meth be flushed out of the system?
- Would Adderall show up in a urine test?
- What is the differece between Oxycontin and Oxycodone?
- What causes pain after knee replacement surgery?
- How long can i take Xanax for anxiety?
- Are Omega 3 supplements effective in helping muscle recovery after a...