What is the ideal course of action after a dog bite?

Posted on Sat, 6 Jun 2015 in General Health
Question: Dog bite safety measures if the dog had missed its vaccination for last year
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Starting the course of anti-rabies vaccine is protective.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX

If a dog who has not been vaccinated and bites you then the further course of action will depend on:

1. If the dog is a pet one and can be observed then nothing needs to be done. If the dog starts biting others without provocation or dies within 7 days then anti-rabies injection need to be taken.
2. If the dog is a stray one and cannot be observed, you should take anti-rabies injections.

Rabies usually develops within 5 days of bite. Rabies virus usually transmits if the skin has been punctured during the bite. Starting the course of anti-rabies vaccine is protective.

Following the dog bite,you should take dose of anti rabies vaccine (Inj Rabipur), TT injection and Inj Diclofenac as a post-exposure prophylaxis means when you had not been vaccinated with antirabies vaccine previously.

1) Inj rabipur on days 0,3,7,14 and 28.
Day 0 is the day of first shot of vaccination,to be taken on to the shoulder by intramuscular route.

2) Inj.tetanus toxoid 1 ampoule at Intramuscularly once only.

3) Inj.Diclofenac for pain relief

4) If there is wound then it should be washed with sterile water and antiseptic solution.

Hope this detailed information will help you.If any query then feel free to ask me.

Dr.SandipKabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Sandip Kabra 22 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX that was very helpful.happy XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome.

Detailed Answer:
You are most welcome,

Hope my answer will help you how to proceed further.
If you have any query then you can ask me.

Dr. Sandip Kabra