• question-icon

What is the highest dose given to women in pellet form?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Yes I am a 60 year old woman whose always had high energy and very fast metabolism.
I have not gained weight but I'm starting to feel unhappy, a bit lithergic, I have osteopina,
and having just married 5 years ago, Im sorry to say my libedo check out several months.
I have been trying troches for about 2 months, but its not for me. How long would I have to stay off troches to get my normal blood work back? I would like to go back to the pellets, I stopped them because the 2 places I went to each closed and it would take at least 8 months to get especially the tester one correct! I just didn't want to waste another 2 visits for a dr, to believe me and dose me properly.
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Testosterone

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your symptoms.

Although testosterone treatment in some studies has helped libido in women, in general it is not recommended. In fat it is deemed unsafe by experts.

The evidence is for short term use in post-menopausal women with low sexual desire. However, the improvement in symptoms did not match the blood levels of testosterone.
Moreover, one needs to monitor for signs and symptoms of testosterone excess.

I suppose you are referring to the gum application when you say troches. If so, then staying off these for a week or so should leave little testosterone from that source in your blood. Then you can test your blood at that point.

Regarding pellets, there is no published study that has reported extensive experience with this in women. So we do not know what is the optimal dose of pellets in women.

None of the testosterone treatment forms are approved by the FDA for this purpose ie improving sexual function in women.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
TSH
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day

Dr. Shehzad Topiwala

Endocrinologist