• question-icon

    What is the highest dose given to women in pellet form?

Posted on Tue, 24 May 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Yes I am a 60 year old woman whose always had high energy and very fast metabolism.
I have not gained weight but I'm starting to feel unhappy, a bit lithergic, I have osteopina,
and having just married 5 years ago, Im sorry to say my libedo check out several months.
I have been trying troches for about 2 months, but its not for me. How long would I have to stay off troches to get my normal blood work back? I would like to go back to the pellets, I stopped them because the 2 places I went to each closed and it would take at least 8 months to get especially the tester one correct! I just didn't want to waste another 2 visits for a dr, to believe me and dose me properly.
What is the highest dose given to women in pellet form?
Answered by Dr. Shehzad Topiwala 5 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Sorry to note your symptoms.

Although testosterone treatment in some studies has helped libido in women, in general it is not recommended. In fat it is deemed unsafe by experts.

The evidence is for short term use in post-menopausal women with low sexual desire. However, the improvement in symptoms did not match the blood levels of testosterone.
Moreover, one needs to monitor for signs and symptoms of testosterone excess.

I suppose you are referring to the gum application when you say troches. If so, then staying off these for a week or so should leave little testosterone from that source in your blood. Then you can test your blood at that point.

Regarding pellets, there is no published study that has reported extensive experience with this in women. So we do not know what is the optimal dose of pellets in women.

None of the testosterone treatment forms are approved by the FDA for this purpose ie improving sexual function in women.

When I see someone like you in my practice, I typically order the following blood tests in addition to a detailed physical examination:

CBC (Complete Blood Count, also known as Hemogram; includes Hemoglobin, WBC and Platelet counts)
Electrolytes (Sodium and Potassium in particular)
HbA1c (Glycosylated Hemoglobin = your 3 month glucose average)
Liver function tests (SGOT , SGPT, Albumin, Bilirubin, Alkaline Phosphatase)
Kidney function tests (BUN, Creatinine)
25 hydroxy Vitamin D

None of these tests require any fasting and can be done at any time of the day

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Shehzad Topiwala


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 1663 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on

Recent questions on  Alkaline phosphatase

doctor1 MD

I had a vaginal hysterectomy and pelvic repair 9 weeks ago. Went through menopause 18 years ago. I still am dizzy and feel nauseous - sometimes so...

doctor1 MD

Hi, may I answer your health queries right now ? Please type your query here...Doctor ,last year 2009 i had gone through spleenectomy surgery and...

doctor1 MD

Hi I am Laxmi Gupta age 57 and have spotted S.SGOT 105 and S,SGPT 120, S,alkaline phosphatase 135, Having swalling in both leg and little bit pain...

doctor1 MD









doctor1 MD

Im a 70 year old stage two diabetic. I woke up in the night with dry heaves...I just went to the store and fell faint and nauseated. I rested for...

doctor1 MD

I feel completely dumb I can't concentrate I can't think straight I feel like I can't function has the time even though I am I'm having memory loss...

doctor1 MD

Hi my ferritin level is 555, I am female. I take ferrous sulfate . 2x a day. What would be the treatment, is it as easy as stopping the iron? I...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

186 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction
Questions Answered By Dr. Shehzad Topiwala
  • Q - Thyroid problem,unable to conceive,hormone deficiency

  • Q - How are headaches and vitiligo treated ?

  • Q - Feel cold, lightheadedness, memory problems, foggy thinking,...

  • Q - Hypothyroidism due to Hashimoto's thyroiditis, taking Thyronorm. Do you...

  • Q - Underweight, taken dexamethasone. How can I gain weight?

  • Q - What can be done for a high blood sugar? Have frequent urination.

  • Q - Had hormone imbalance. Used androgel when testosterone went down. Will...

  • Q - Have a postprandial hypoglycemic reaction to foods with carbs. Gaining...

  • Q - Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism. Is Armour thyroid or Erfa thyroid better...

  • Q - Cold feeling after eating sugar. Headache, fever, BP high, have...