What is the hard lump in my quadriceps and inner thigh?

Dr. Shoaib Khan

Posted on Tue, 4 Mar 2014 in Cancer
Question: For the last few days I noticed a hard lump located somewhere in my quadriceps and inner thigh. When flex my muscle, it feels about the size of a clump of peas. Not sure if I should be concerned, but I'm a 41 year old male with ongoing auto immune issues (ITP in remission two years, splenectomy, Rituxan treatments now and then). I also had a few lymph node biopsies over the years with no conclusive evidence of any major diseases. Should I head to my GP or hematologist just to check this out? Or assume it's benign or some fatty deposit or bruise and ice it? Curious, but concerned given my bizarre medical history. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Suspecting a hematoma sir, visit doctor Detailed Answer: Hello sir and welcome. Thank you for writing to us. I would like to ask you if you are actively involved in sports or exercises or have recently had some physical form of exercise after which you noticed the lump? The reason why I have asked you this is because the most common cause for such a presentation is usually a hematoma (which is the collection of blood) usually from blunt trauma or excessive physical workout. Also taking into consideration your ITP, a hematoma is quite likely. I would recommend a visit to the doctor who will physically examine it and also might request for an ultrasound examination to make sure of the diagnosis. In my opinion it is nothing serious, but would be best to keep your doctor informed. I hope you find my response both helpful and informative. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications, I would be more than happy to help you. Best wishes.