• question-icon

What is the half life of Trifluoperazine?

Posted on Wed, 19 Jul 2017 in General Health
Question: I am confused about the half life of trifuoperazine, on the internet some sites say 2 hrs, some 3.5 hrs and some 10 hrs. Can you please clear my doubt as to what is it's half life and how long does it's effect last?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The half life is about 18 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking again

As per standard textbooks the elimination half life of Trifluoperazine is around 10-20 hours (18 hours). This depends upon individuals variations too.

In normal situations the drug should be given twice daily. The peak plasma levels are reached in around 5-6 hours. This is the reason bid doses are given in order to maintain sustained levels.

Thanks
Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 6 hours later
i have morning anxiety. i take trifluoperazine 1 mg in the morning. My doc has told me to take 1.5 mg in the morning. what is better, 1.5 mg in the morning or 1 mg mor/eve? if i take 1.5 mg mg at 10 am in the morning, how long will its effect last?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 0 minute later
Brief Answer:
1.5 mg in morning is good.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Since your anxiety is more in day time especially in office hours so taking 1.5 mg in morning will have positive effects compared to 1 mg twice a day.

The drug will provide good anxiety control in office hours but the effects will diminish in evening.

Thanks
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist