What is the function of Bisoprolol?

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Tue, 11 Nov 2014 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Can you please explain about rate medication Bisoprolol. I have read that it stops the A-Fib episodes but does not stop the heart from fibrillating. Does that mean that I can have a REGULAR heartbeat but still be in A-Fib. I thought that in A-Fib the heartbeat would ALWAYS be irregular.

Thank-you
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Bisoprolol control heart rate but not rhythm...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking to HCM!

The principal effect of betablockers (Bisoprolol) in patients with atrial fibrillation is to control ventricular (heart) rate. Bisoprolol has no effect on controlling heart rhythm.

Bisoprolol use by controlling ventricular rate during atrial fibrillation may ease and even some times stop heart palpitations (this is of help because make you feel better). However Bisoprolol has no effect on heart rhythm and doesn't stop atrial fibrillation.

Hope this answers all your questions!
Dr. Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
Thank-you. But to be clear if I have an A-Fib event, whether I have symptoms or not, if felt my pulse would be slower but still irregular. In other words if I have a regular pulse I can not be in A-Fib.
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
What you're saying is true, but ECG is the best...

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back!

Yes what you are saying is the general rule. However in some case the irregularities are undetectable by pulse palpation. This is why ECG and ECG monitoring (holter) is the golden standard to diagnose atrial fibrillation.

Hope this answer all your queries!
Dr. Benard
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj