What is the frequency of gastroscopy in GERD patients?

General Surgeon
Question
I have had gerd/ lpr for around 15 years. I've had probably 6 scopes
( most by request).
I started flaring up again around a year ago and went to gastro.
Gastro did a colonoscopy and endoscopy. She told me same story. Both showed some irritation but otherwise normal( no Barrett's or cellular changes)
My gastro said that most people with long term issues who hadn't showed any Barrett's or cellular changes likely wouldn't and that wether or not someone developed Barrett's could even likely be genetic.
It's been 8 months and after some major stress and quite a bit of cheating on the coffee I'm having reflux issues again. I just wondered how often do I need to be scoped? Or are flares just part of the deal? Just concerned and stressed which makes things even worse.
Posted Sun, 31 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 49 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Detailed below.

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

There is not specific recommendation about frequency of gastroscopy in GERD patients. However it is thought that patients with Barrets esophagus possibility should have gastroscopy every 3 years.
Flares ups should be present if you do stop taking medicines, otherwise, you should feel fine without any problems. If you do not, the dosage of PPIs is too low, or you are resistant to such treatment.
In my opinion, you should consider surgical treatment of GERD as medicines do not work as they should for you. There is a laparoscopic procedure called fiundoplication which can set you free from GERD and from taking medicines.
Before qualification to this procedure, long term esophageal pH monitoring should be done. Please consult general surgeon with this issue.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.

Follow-up: What is the frequency of gastroscopy in GERD patients? 1 hour later
No, PPI's do work for me but if I drink a lot of coffee and or eat things that irritate my stomach I can get flare ups.
If that's combined with stress it's worse.

I was mainly wondering if I should be concerned or if it was likely a flare up again.
I have health anxiety, so even though I was just scoped 8 months ago I always worry about worst case scenarios.

Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
.

Detailed Answer:
Flare ups are nothing you should be worried about. You know what are you dealing with and you have recent gastroscopy (8 months is to short for something serious to develop, especially for the cancer). If the flare ups are related to stress or coffee intake, you have also the reason.
If the flare ups are present for no reason, medicines change should be considered.
But this is nothing serious.
Regards.