What is the effect of Palmetto on future pregnancy?

Dr. Chetna Jain

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 25 Mar 2015 in Women's Health
Question: Hello Doctor! I am suffering from hair loss for the last couple of years. After trying various treatments, my derm has prescribed Androanagen for a month. Also, we are planning for a kid ( not immediately but in 3-4 months time ). Since, this tab contains saw palmetto, does this affect me getting pregnant / any birth defects etc ? Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Chetna Jain 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
You may stop when you miss the period

Detailed Answer:
Most of these supplements are considered safe in pregnancy. you may change to pro anagen which is from same company which is ok to use in pregnancy.
the current accepted recommendation is to stop this medicine as soon as you test positive at missed periods. hope you have ruled out low ferritin as an imp cause of hair fall. you also need to start tablet folic acid since you want to conceive in near future
Follow up: Dr. Chetna Jain 10 hours later
Thank you Doctor. Please advise on the foll.

a. Which brand of the folic acid tablets do you recommend ? ( Dosage - Once a day after dinner I assume )

b. Hairfall is due to low ferritin. Last tested ferritin was 40, have tried proanagen in the past. No results.
My understanding is okay to take androanagen & immediately stop it once the pregnancy results test positive.
Brief Answer:
Yes you are right

Detailed Answer:
folvite is the most popular international brand available as 5 mg tablet to be taken any time . yes you may stop androanagen when preg test is positive. to improve serum iron you may take injectable iron if oral is not working
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D