• question-icon

What is the duration of running required for a VO2 max test?

Posted on Fri, 3 Jun 2016 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: My daughter is 20 yrs old and has to take a VO2 XXXXXXX test. If she passes she goes on to other intense physical tests. How long should she run for first test?
My daughter has to do a VO2 XXXXXXX test for a firefighting job. She runs at 7 mph and every 2 minutes the grade inclines 2%. If she passes that test she goes on to 5 more intense physical tests. They told her to run until she can't run anymore. Does she run until she cant run anymore or does she save herself for the other tests after? If she fails her first tests she's done .
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
find the answer below.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
VO2 XXXXXXX refers to the maximum amount of oxygen that an individual can utilize during intense or maximal exercise. It is measured as "milliliters of oxygen used in one minute per kilogram of body weight."
An person's oxygen consumption rises in a linear relationship with exercise intensity up to a point. There is a specific point at which oxygen consumption plateaus even if the exercise intensity increases. This plateau marks the V02 XXXXXXX It's a painful point in VO2 XXXXXXX testing where the athlete moves from aerobic metabolism to anaerobic metabolism. From here, it's not long before muscle fatigue forces the athlete to stop exercising. The test usually takes between 10 and 15 minutes and requires an athlete to be completely rested and motivated to endure the pain long enough to find the true VO2 XXXXXXX
With the above description. I hope you got an idea about the test and duration of running required for testing.
Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 23 minutes later
So if she didn't do the test for as long as she could and stopped before 10 minutes to save herself for the next 5 tests right after she may fail the CO2 max? She did this last time for 7 minutes (that's as long as she was able to go) &failed so she couldn't go on to the rest of the testing.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
more than duration, it's the ability 2 utilise oxygen that matters.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back,
I appreciate your follow up.
I think more than duration of run, it's the ability to utilise maximum oxygen during sternous exercise matters most. Hence she has to run until the moment she can't run anymore, only then her endurance can be tested.
Hope I answered your query. Will be happy 2 answer if you have any further doubts.
Regards.
Dr. Naveen Kumar