What is the dose of mifepristone 200 mg?

Dr. Rhea Chanda

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 21 Jan 2013 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Question: I m 5 week pregnanent(as per LMP),An embryo with a CRL of 1.3 mm ,for abortion I took one 200 mg mifepristone tab after which bleeding starts with spotting and 10-20 % more than normal periods.Should i take following dose of misoprostol ? how much dose it should be taken ?should i take complete dosage inspite of bleeding or i stop it after bleeding or cramping starts?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
After you take the mifepristone 600mg you should bleed within 24 hrs.
Then you have to take 2 tabs of misoprostol 48hrs after taking the mifepristone.
Even though you bleed and get cramps complete the full dose of the medicine.
If the medication is taken incorrectly,there may be remnants of pregnancy inside the uterus which will require surgical intervention.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 31 minutes later
It's been 60 hours since i had taken mifepristone,now how many tabs of misoprostol i should take ? and how the dose should been taken ? I mean tabs shold be taken orally or vaginal and should i take misoprostol at a time or there shold be gap between two misoprostol tabs? give me comple dose i needed of misoprostol and instruction for how to take misoprostol
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 12 minutes later
You are over the time limit.Since its been over 48 hrs after taking mifepristone, so you have taken the misoprostol already.I cannot guarantee that the complete process will be successful. But you can definitely hope for the best.Take 200mg misoprostol 2 tablets together (each tab is 200mg) as soon as possible. Take both tabs together.

Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 4 minutes later
How to take misoprostol tablets ,orally or vaginally? and if orally should i swallow it or keep in mouth for 20-30 min before swallowing it? and is dose of 2 tabs is sufficient in my case ?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 minutes later
You taken them orally.Swallow them and dont keep them in your mouth.That the XXXXXXX dose you can take. Taking higher dose may be harmful to you.So regardless of your condition,take the dose suggested only.You should get proper bleeding and may be with passage of clots.Bleeding will continue 7-10 days.If longer,see your doctor for an ultrasound.
Follow up: Dr. Rhea Chanda 37 hours later
After taking misoprostol I start bleeding immediately with clots ,it bleeds for 12 hours then it stop,I didn't bleed next day but It again started bleeding on 3rd day,is it normal?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 50 minutes later
Yes its fine.The bleeding may continue for a few days like this.Repeat an ultrasound after 2 weeks.