question-icon

What is the dosage of Thyronorm for below thyroid report?

Posted on Thu, 19 May 2016
Question: MOTHER T3-0.75 ,T4 -5.00 ,TSH-58.38 AGE -37 YRS
DAUGHTER T3-1.15 T4-9.90,TSH-18.29 AGE 6 YRS

PLEASE REFER DOSES OF MEDICINE LIKE THYRONORM.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Please clarify first.May need to increase the dose

Detailed Answer:
welcome to HCM.

I have read your mother's and daughter's thyroid values from which TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone) is too high 58 here (Normal value of TSH 0.5 to 4.0 miu/l) and your daughter's TSH value is also high 18.29 here.

Since you have already consulted doctor and he has prescribed Thyronorm (50 mg and 25 mg respectively as per your post) but I want some clarification from your side about 50 'mg' dosage or it is actually a 'MCG (microgram)'. For that,you can check the dosage on the label of the bottle.

In my opinion,I will want to start (considering very high TSH values) the dose 200 MCG to your mother and 75 mcg to your daughter and to go for thyroid test again after 1 month to titrate the dosage accordingly.

Also,Thyroid tablet (Thyronorm) must be taken on empty stomach to get maximum absorption from the stomach as food might interfere with its absorption.

So,Ideally it is taken after 2 hours of having meal or before 45 minutes of meal.
Means it is best not to eat anything for at least 1 hour after taking thyronorm.

Hope this detailed answer will be helpful.And get back to me with clarification.

Dr.Sandip Kabra
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Sandip Kabra