What is the dosage of Prednisone for polymyalgia rheumatica?

Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Yes thank you. I am trying to wean off prednisone but need support for polymyalgia rheumatica. What prednisone dosage is safe to start replacing with low dose naltrexone. Presently I am on 5 mg but have requested to be placed on hydrocortisone which seems less dangerous. I have been on prednisone for 8 years and suffer from all the usual side effects. Thank you so much
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Sareer Khalil 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
explained..

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome,

Polymyalgia rheumatica is rapidly responsive to low doses of prednisone. However, patients may require treatment for several months to several years.
however , if you are having trouble tolerating prednisone then you may ask your doctor for hydrocortisone as an alternative.

Naltrexone is an opioid antagonist and can be started with prednisone as both have different receptors.
You are taking low dose prednisone so you may want to taper it by taking 2.5mg for 5 days and then 1.5mg for 5 days and then stopping it completely.

let me know if you have any query
thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj