• question-icon

What is the dosage of Ofloxacin and Ornidazole?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Child Health
Question: 7 month old Baby having loose motions,what is the correct dose of ofloxacin and ornidazole oral suspension and how safe is it?
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 20 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No need for antibiotics

Detailed Answer:
Hi...Thank you for consulting in Health Care magic.

It seems your kid is having viral diarrhoea. Once it starts it will take 5-7 days to completely get better.

Unless the kid's having low urine output or very dull or excessively sleepy or blood in motion or green bilious vomiting...you need not worry.

There is no need to use antibiotics like OFLOXACIN OR ORNIDAZOLE...unless there is blood in the motion. Antibiotics might worsen if unnecessarily used causing antibiotic associated diarrhoea.

I suggest you use zinc supplements (Z&D drops 1ml once daily for 14 days) & ORS (Each small packet mixed in 200ml of potable water and keep giving sip by sip) as hydration is very important and crucial part of treatment. If there is vomiting you can use Syrup Ondansetron (as prescribed by your paediatrician).

Regarding diet - You can use cerelac...any flavour will do. Avoid fruit juices as they might aggravate diarrhea. You can give zinc supplements & ORS apart from normal vegetarian porridges & soups.

Hope my answer was helpful for you. I am happy to help any time. Further clarifications and consultations on Health care magic are welcome. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish your kid good health.
Dr. Sumanth MBBS., DCH., DNB (Paed).,
Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology