What is the dosage of Eltroxin for hypothyroidism?

Posted on Tue, 1 Sep 2015 in Thyroid Problem and Hormonal Problems
Question: Hello Dr,
i have 6 weeks 5 days pregnant.In my blood test my TSH was 17.5.Am having eltroxin 50mg everyday for almost a week now.am due for my blood test on monday which will be my 10th day of medication.plz advice if eltroxin 50mg is sufficient for such a high tsh and am worried about the effects it can have on my baby.am extremely worried, plz pkz advice
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The dose is 50 -75 mcg per day

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HCM. I had gone through your question and understand your concerns.

Don't worry. The usual starting dose for hypothyroidism with a TSH between 10 and 20 miu/ml is 50 to 75 mcg. So 50 mcg is ok to start with. Do a total T4, TSH and anti TPO antibody and adjust Eltroxin dose.

Hope I have answered your question. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.

Dr Ajish TP
Consultant Endocrinologist

Follow up: Dr. Ajish TP 2 days later
Thank you so much for the answer dr.Am experiencing shortness of breath for past 3 days.I wanted to know is it possibly a sside effect of eltroxin(since I read on the internet)I discussed with my gynaecologist and she says it is symptom of pregnancy.i am meeting her on friday for my blood tests.Kindly advice if this is due to the side effect.Thank you
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP 17 hours later
Brief Answer:
This could be due to pregnancy

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

Shortness of breath can be seen in normal pregnancy as well as as a side effect of thyroid medications.

In pregnancy unless it is so troublesome we won't decrease the dose of thyroid medications. Do continue thyroid medications and retest thyroid function.

Dr Ajish TP
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist