What is the dosage of Calpol and Emeset for fever and vomiting?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Child Health
Question: Hi my 10 year old son is coughing, vomited twice today and has 102.9 fever. I just gave him calpol 120mg - 11 ml. Is this dose correct and what else should be given? And how much emeset should be given if he vomits again? Thanks
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 33 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please let me know the body weight of the child.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

In order to answer your query I would need to know the exact weight of your child. The correct dose of paracetamol (Crocin) is 15 mg/kg/dose to be given at a minimum interval of 3-4 hours. For ondansetron (Emeset) the dose is 0.15 mg/kg/dose. You can calculate based on the information given. Alternatively, you may let me know and I would guide you accordingly.

Also give steam inhalation to your child. Water in form of vapor will reach deep inside and will help in diluting the cough and would thus provide relief.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 42 minutes later
Yes sorry i missed to mention his weight is 21kg. Could you please let me know the dosages? And any cough syrup you recommend. He seems to be coughing from chest. Cheston or ephedrex? I would surerly give steam. Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Doses mentioned

Detailed Answer:
The correct dose of Crocin 120mg/5ml would be 12.5ml/dose.
The correct dose of Emeset 4mg/5ml would be 3ml/dose.
Ephedrex can be given. Also give steam inhalation. No other cough syrup required.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 11 minutes later
Great thanks!
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
Feel free to ask me back directly if you ever have a health related query in future.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 19 hours later
His fever is occuring every 7 hrs. I gave calpol one he back when fever was 103 and now its 102.5. Usually fever comes down with calpol shall i wait for sometime or givw meftal p?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can give Meftal P

Detailed Answer:
By need to wait for half an hour for the effect of Calpol to set in. If you have already waited for sometime you can give Meftal P now. Also give tepid sponging.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 7 minutes later
Yes, I gave calpol at 4pm when fever was 39.5, it is still 39.5 at 5:50pm, in between it went to 39.7. So I think I will give meftal P now. He is sleeping so not sure whether I should go for sponging, please suggest.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can give Meftal P.

Detailed Answer:
You can give Meftal P.