What is the dosage for Coligyl for a four month old? Has loose motion

Dr. Taher Kagalwala

Pediatrician

Posted on Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Child Health
Question: what is the dosage for COLIGYL for infants (4 months old). He is suffering from loose motions. There is powder and liquid set given in the pack.
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 1 hour later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for the query. Coligyl suspension contains colistin sulphate, an anti-bacterial syrup that is sometimes used for diarrhoea in infants. However, it might be prudent to ask you first why you wish to use it. Could you detail the symptoms of your child?

The reason I am posing you this counter-query is that more than 80% of diarrhoea in infancy is due to viruses, esp. the rotavirus ( WWW.WWWW.WW . Coligyl will have no effect on this type of diarrhoea. Even otherwise, there are very limited indications of this drug.

The dose would be 2.5 ml twice a day of the 12.5 mg/5 ml suspension for 6 days. You need to add the water into the dry powder bottle to prepare the suspension. Shake it well before you pour 2.5 ml into the measuring cup. Seal the bottle after adjusting the dose and store it inside the refrigerator ... in the lower shelves, not in the freezer or chiller.

Hope that answers your question.

Thank you once again. I will be available to take any further queries if any.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery for your baby.

Dr. Taher