What is the difference between pelvic inflammatory disease and medical POD?

Posted on Mon, 6 Oct 2014 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: 1)What is the difference between pelvic inflammatory disease and medical POD?
2)what risks are associated with medical POD? Any advice?
3) what causes testicular / cauda epididymal swelling and pain? Can this cause premature evacuation back ache and eventual impotence? Any treatment please?
Answered by Dr. Suresh Heijebu 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Acute Epididymitis and orchitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi Sir,

I have carefully read your query and understand your concern.

Pelvic inflammatory disease is a polymicrobial infection of the uterus and its adnexa,seen exclusively in women.

POD refers to pouch of XXXXXXX ,which is nothing but a peritoneal deflection behind the uterus and rectum in women creating a small potential space .
This space shows fluid collections in case of infections and trauma to female genital tract.

Causes of fluid in POD.
1.Infections
2.abortions
3.operative injuries.
4.Abdominal trauma
5.Complicating pregnancy.

Going by your medical history you seem to have Acute Epididymo-orchitis which is sudden inflammation of the testis and epidydimis of the male genital tract.

Causes;
1.Infections predominantly caused by bacteria and Tuberculosis and occasionally by viruses.

2.In few men with BPH with benign hypertrophy of prostrate.

Yes untreated cases of Acute EO can cause premature or retrograde ejaculation and can lead to eventual impotence in the long run.

This risk is particularly high in those with associated structural abnormalities like Vesico urethral reflux/VUR.

Treatment:
I.Reduction in physical activity.
2.Scrotal support and elevation.
3.Ice packs
4.Sitz baths
5.Antibiotics like Azithromycin.
6.Anti inflammatory drugs like Diclofenac sodium.

I hope this info is helpful to you,
Thank you
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Suresh Heijebu