What is the difference between oral gonorrhea and tonsillitis?

Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Posted on Wed, 21 Oct 2015 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Question: i was wondering what the difference is between oral gonorrhea and tonsillitis discharge? I've had the white pus in my tonsils but i always thought it was due tonsillitis? Is tonsillitis contagious?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Culture for Gobnococcal and other bacteria can differentiate the two.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

Even with a non venereal tonsillitis with streptococci or staphylococci, one can get a tonsillar abscess called as quinsy. That would emit discharge over the tonsillar area.
Gonococcal pharyngitis can be diagnosed by culture from a throat swab for gono coccus in specific media on request. Smear test from throat for gonorrhea would not be so reliable.
Gonococcal pharyngitis is common only with oral sex. in the absence of any oral sex forget the possibility of gonococcal pharyngitis. With external throat infection alone it is very difficult to say whether it could be due to STD or nonSTD organism.
Dr S.Murugan
Follow up: Dr. S. Murugan 2 hours later
what would be the cure if it were to be Gonococcal pharyngitis? if i had got the shot and antibiotics for gonorrhea would that resolve the discharge i have?
Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Treatment to be given under the guidance of a Dermato-venereologist

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Treating gonococcal pharyngitis is not difficult. It will respond to single shot. But before treatment, diagnosis should be established and following the treatment culture for gonococci should become negative. So an expert guidance is necessary. Consult a Dermato-venereologist and get well soon.
Dr S Murugan