What is the difference between heat rash and acute hiv rash?

Dr. Das Arindam

Posted on Fri, 4 Jan 2013 in HIV and AIDS
Question: Hello. Please may you advise what is the difference between heat rash and Acute HIV rash? I had an hiv test 5 weeks after possible exposure and tested negative. It is now one week later and I have a few rashes developing.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 20 minutes later
Thank you for posting a question.

Firstly, clinically, allergic rash and HIV rash are difficult to differentiate. But, in case of HIV rash, some other flu like symptoms should also be present. Lymphadenopathy is also a very common finding. It is associated with myalgia, headache and many more.

But, in your case, absence of other symptoms and just the rash, does not sounds like a HIV rash. Rather, from my clinical experience, I can say that there is more chances to be allergic rash.

You should visit a general physician for a thorough clinical examination for presence of any other lesions and also for confirmation

In case of confirmation of HIV, if you have any doubt, then you can go for p24 protein assay. Another test which is very useful in this situation. It is DNA PCR test. These are very useful to detect early infection.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.

Regards.

Follow up: Dr. Das Arindam 15 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I haven't experienced any forms of Lymphadenopathy, however I have 2 purple dots on the edge of my glans which appeared 10 days ago (right before I went for my HIV test) . The Urologist is adamant that it is not related to an STD and has prescribed fungal cream for me to apply for 10 days.
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 33 minutes later

Thank you for writing back.

I am also have same opinion regarding the dots over the glans.

Most probably it is not a symptom of any STD.

You should continue applying the medicines.

Regards.