What is the difference between gastritis and gastric reflux?
Going to see gastro today at 930am
Problems when swallow whole foods or like this morning took vitamin pill felt stuck
Been having swallowing issues and shortness of breath whenever I eat feeling of being full so can't eat too much had gone to ER had chest pains they did catscan and chest they say heart is fine lungs were fine no blood clot
ENT had given me nasal Fluticasone 50mcg to help me eat but ended up having those chest pains. My blood test reveal have slight anemia according to doctor spoke to on this website
Wondering that feeling of having ball caught in throat is that need antiobiotics these Gastro conditions or what could it be
No,gastritis is not the same as reflux as following...
I understand your concern.
Gastritis is not the same as reflux depending on changes of stomach mucosa determined by upper endoscopy:
- gastritis is characterized by the presence of inflammation (changes) of stomach mucosa with hyperacidity level of stomach liquid
- while in reflux, there is no change in stomach mucosa although the hyperacidity of stomach liquid
As per your description, your symptoms are indicative for reflux and not gastritis. However, upper endoscopy will determine the right diagnosis.
With regards to treatment, it is recommended to:
- avoid foods/medications/drinks that would trigger/aggravate stomach hyperacidity
- eat often and small portions
- avoid laying down immediately after eating
- have your dinner at least 4 hours before bedtime
- take PPIs and ranitidine to reduce stomach pH. Your treating doctor will know about it.
- take antacids after meal
Hope it was of help!
But whenever eat anything solid get uncomfortable throat and chest feeling my breathing is tightening in chest with my throat tightening and whenever stressed getting tightening feeling
Lately went to emergency room cause was taking Fluticasone prescribed by Ent doctor to help me with breathing and allow me to be able to eat but only got chest pains so Ended up and was told
Chest pains could be getting Ulcer or could it be
Only endoscopy will find out what is causing your pain.
Chest pain is a common symptom for gerd gastritis and stomach ulcer. Upper endoscopy is the only examinations that will make the difference and find out exactly what is causing your chest pain.
Meanwhile keep going with my previous adviceabout diet and life style.
Wish you health!
Yes your symptoms are part of reflux disease.
Unfortunately for you yes. Gastro esophageal acid reflux (GERD) is associated with turning of stomach load (food, liquids and gas) to esophagus and mouth. This is clinically manifested with lots of gases coming out and chest pain.
However treating the reflux (as prescribed by your doctor) will relief those symptoms. My advice is to wait for the treatment to take effect.
Hope this was of help!
Wish you health!
Can I ask you another question last night was having very soft stool light brown after took Zantac went like 3-4 almost like diarrhea and been having excessive
throat pain and get relief from discomfort in chest from belching. Throat feels mucusy is this common with Reflux ? and these other symptoms having.
Don't know if pills taking currently : Nexium 40mg or Zantac 150mg is giving me Diarrhea which one or could it be both meds , is there a need to take both pills do they serve different purposes ? What is the purpose of each one ?
both meds have side effect diarrhea
Hi back XXXX,
With regards to your mucous throat, yes it is common in GERD. Acidity secretion that comes from stomach damage throat mucosa and cause inflammation and mucous.
You are reporting to have diarrhea after nexium and zantac use. This is a side effect of both nexium and zantac.
In this case, if I was your treating doctor I would advice to continue only with nexium since it is the best treatment for GERD.
The mechanism of action is different for each of them, however, both meds decrease the amount of acid production in stomach.
Nexium is the first choice for GERD treatment.
All the best!
Cannot give antibiotics unless H.pylori test is positive
Hi back my dear,
Such medications (antibiotics) are given if:
- ulcer/gastritis is confirmed
- H.pylori infection is confirmed
That's why I asked to wait for biopsy report and follow the earlier advice.
All the best!
She prescribed omezapazole 40 mg for the morning and continue with Zantac 40mg at night
I really hope this gets resolved but sleep tonight cause ate at 630pmsnd says to wait 3 hours to lay down . I layed down on left side felt choking feeling in throat
Also for mucousy feeling in throat should I take cough medicine or mucinex fast XXXXXXX for severe congestion relief syrup ? Would it hurt me ?
Continue taking meds as prescribed by your doc;can take Mucinex safely...
Hi back my dear,
Viral or mild upper respiratory infections can also aggravate GERD/gastritis due to hyperacidity of the stomach.
If you have productive cough, then, you can safely take Mucinex; it won't hurt you.
Aerosol-therapy can also help together with consuming more fluids (tea, juice, water, etc).
Meanwhile, you can continue taking omeprazole and Zantac as prescribed by your doctor.
Wish fast recovery!
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Ramipril chronic gastric reflux
- Gastric reflux symptoms
- Causes of gastric reflux
- What is the best medication for gastric reflux
- Treatment and cure for Gastric reflux
- Ramipril and gastric reflux
- Diagnosis of Gastric reflux
- Gastric reflux and frequent urination
- Grade iii gastric reflux
- Gastric reflux cough
- Have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome due to mild lupus. Have...
- Had sinus infection and prescribed with amox clav. Recommended to have...
- Using anti wrinkle cream with Retinol. Lips peeling and crackling....
- What causes feeling of foul taste coming from stomach when i burp?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain and vomiting post hip surgery
- Is it normal to have spillage from fistulectomy wound?
- Suggest treatment for abdominal pain
- What causes dark stools and itchy anus?
- What causes burning in the upper part of throat?
- What does elevated CA level indicate?